The Burnaby North Seymour 2015 election holds extraordinary promise for the NDP. I suspect the result of the 2015 election vote will be a big surprise and great disappointment for Stephen Harper.
A: My prediction is that our Burnaby North Seymour NDP candidate Carol Baird Ellan will be elected.
The Harper Government created a new federal electoral district, Burnaby North Seymour, in 2012. Their electoral-boundaries redistribution was a demonstration of Conservative, do-anything-to-win, gerrymandering. I suspect the Harper Government’s thought process was that by manipulating electoral district boundaries, North Vancouver Conservative voters would outnumber Burnaby’s progressive voters, thus favouring Harper’s chances of forming another majority government. Big mistake, many, if not most, North Shore residents have had their fill of the grumpy Conservatives and their oil.
Carol will become the Member of Parliament for Burnaby North Seymour because she:
- is a mother of five and a grandmother of one
- is a lawyer
- is a retired Provincial Court Chief Judge (first female Chief of the BC Provincial Court)
- believes “childcare should not be a privilege only the rich can afford: it’s an essential service which gets parents like me into the workplace. I would have never been able to do what I did without it. It is a basic right that every working parent needs in order to prosper. Ensuring access to affordable childcare will make us much stronger as a society.”
- is “…deeply concerned about what we are doing to our environment and the planet. The climate crisis is here, and Canada is not doing enough. Under the Harper Conservatives, we have fallen behind, and are now one of the worst countries in the world when it comes to mitigating climate change. We need a strong government that emphasizes responsible, renewable energy programs. Oil is not the energy source of the future: we need to look past the easy money of raw fossil fuel exports and build a socially responsible economy, for the sake of future generations.”
- worries “about the future of our children and grandchildren. I worry about our elderly; those who have served our country and worked hard all their lives. People are struggling just to make ends meet, while a tiny percentage holds far too much of our country’s wealth. We need fairer taxation, and renewed commitments to social programs that will promote a decent standard of living for everyone. We need a government that recognizes the strength of our youth and fosters universal education and literacy, and promotes health and social programs that invest in our children, who are the future of our country and the planet.”
The Harper Government’s moment has passed. They bet it all on oil and Canadians lost. The Conservative’s corporately-funded, propaganda campaign won’t work this time. Hopeful Canadians will do the right thing by voting NDP. The Burnaby North Seymour electoral district, Carol Baird Ellan, Tom Mulcair and the NDP will help all of us restore Canada’s soul. Canada’s Politics are changing!